Monday, July 12, 2010

Making My Own Vacation

This week I am house sitting in Nashville for a friend from school. Actually I guess you could say I'm dog sitting. I am currently sitting in the den with a rottweiler named Minnie while watching a blind, deaf, 16 year old beagle named Otis walk around in circles. They have been really good for me this week so far.
Since I am in Nashville this week, and all my friends have jobs like real adults, I decided that I would make my own little vacation in Nashville. Since I am a poor college kid (remember, no job), I am trying to hit up all the free stuff I've never done or haven't done since elementary school. Today I went to the Bicentennial Mall. It was really cool! I learned a lot of things about Tennessee that I didn't know or had forgotten! Don't get me wrong. I am NOT a history person when it comes to the classroom, but if you let me get out and experience it and see it, I really enjoy it!
So after I went there I realized how extremely close I was to the State Capitol. After walking up what seemed like 100,000 steps, I finally made it to the top of Capitol Hill. I walked around the outside and inside. I think it would be really cool to see the House or Senate in session! Maybe I'll come back another time for that!
Once I finished at the Capitol, I realized how close I was to a few other state buildings, so I thought "why not?!" Oh and let me just say this. I really enjoyed being there by myself and walking at my own pace, reading all the descriptions of everything, and just spending time on my own; however, I will say that not having anyone to take cute pics with was kind of sad. The self-timer and a man running on Capitol Hill who offered to take my picture were my best friends when it came to getting pics of myself!
Anyways, so I saw that the Library of Archives and Records was right next to the Capitol so I went in. It wasn't as exciting, but still pretty cool to know that all the record that have ever been recorded were in there. I found Robertson Counties records for the census! That was fun! Too bad I wasn't born when those were taken. They only had really old record. More recent records were stored at a different building.
After I left there, I went next door to the Supreme Court Building. It was the least exciting of all of them. I did get to see where they have court, but that was it. They security guard had a few cool stories to tell though.
I wanted to go to the War Memorial Building, but I needed to get back to the dogs. After today, I wonder why we think we have to go somewhere else for a vacation. I am having a blast learning about Tennessee and Nashville even though I've lived here for 22 years! Everyone just needs to remember that there is plenty of history in your own backyard to discover. Yes, I know that sounds lame, but it's SO true! I'm having as much fun as I've had on most of my vacations... ok, well, except for Disney World!

Always learning,
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment