I'm kind of a control freak. I'm also very much a detail person. Last night when I was watching the National League finally break the American League's 16 year win streak at the All-Star game, I decided to start looking up all the things my family can do when we go on our Washington D.C. vacation next week. This quickly turned into "Katelyn making a detailed itinerary" night. I included how much things cost, what their hours were, and other important details to know. I also did my own research to find out what sights were located close to each other. This helped me divide them up into what we should see on certain days.
I'm weird. I know, but when I laid down last night, I read a little bit of Ecclesiastes. As I got to the end of chapter 5, I read verse 19 that says, "Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work—this is a gift of God." I couldn't help but think about our trip to D.C. next week. It made me think of how God has blessed my family enough to go on trips like this. I am enabled to enjoy this trip as the verse says, or I can ruin it by being so consumed in all the details of the trip. Now there's nothing wrong with all the effort and time I put into making that itinerary. It's ok that I did this, but it's also important for me to remember that things may not and probably won't go according to plan. Since I am a control freak, I tend to get upset when things don't go as I've planned. I guess this relates back to my second blog a little bit. All during my reading of Ecclesiastes so far, I just keep reading that "everything is meaningless." There are so many more important things to do on this trip that get caught up in the details. I am going to finish this itinerary tonight probably, but now I have the understanding that enjoying the company of my family on this trip is WAY more important than any detail that could possibly vary from the plan. Wonder what would happen if I just enjoyed the trip instead of being detail freak? Or what if I even used this principle throughout all of my life? What a crazy thought! I think I'll try it!
Letting go,
Katelyn
No comments:
Post a Comment