Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The End

I am done with student teaching. I have reached the end of my undergraduate college experience. I'm ready to walk across that stage and get that piece of paper while shaking R. Low's hand... or at least I thought I was ready.

In my newly acquired masses of free time I have been hanging out with a lot of my Lipscomb friends in Nashville. I miss the "college life" so so much! I miss being in the dorm. I miss late night talks with roommates. I miss late night movies and runs to Wal-Mart in my p.j.'s. I miss sleeping in until 5 minutes before class just to roll out of bed and not care what you look like. I miss finals... hahaha ok yeah right! I miss the carelessness and responsibility that it is ok to have as a college student simply for the reason that you aren't a big kid yet. I'm not ready to be that big kid.

I am going to Disney next semester, so I guess technically I'm not going to have to be a real big kid with a real job until I get that first teaching job. However, I am going to be 12 hours away from home, on my own, and not coming home the whole time I'm gone. I will be thrown into a group of people I don't know, living with a girl I don't know, working for one of the biggest corporations in the world, and trying to become independent while 700 miles from home... so I guess I might be forced to be a semi-adult while at Disney.

I just don't want to leave my friends here. I don't deal well with change. I don't want to have to resort to phone calls and skype and facebook to talk to my closest friends. I am sure I will probably be very lonely at first. It's like starting college again. I'm all about meeting new people. I just don't like the whole "take a chance on being their friend because you don't know anything about their character and who they are" thing. It's tough. Having transferred and gone through the whole meeting new people thing twice, I feel like it shouldn't be that hard, but the more that I think about it, the more I get nervous about it. I don't want to associate bad memories with Disney World! I would be forever scarred! Everyone tells me I'm going to have so much fun and that I'll be fine, but really, who knows that?! What if I don't meet people, or I have a terrible roommate?

The thing is, I just have way too much free time right now. When I have way too much free time, I do one of two things:
1. Get into trouble.
2. Worry about things to the extreme

Right now I'm doing that worry thing because I have a lot of time to just think about things. I am praying that I can deal with this big change in a positive way next semester and that it will be a growing experience.

Not ready for the end of this,
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment