So I have a boyfriend now. He's one of the football coaches at the high school. That being said, I have a lot of football players in my classes. They are always asking about him and talking about me and him. It's hilarious! One kid told me that if Dallas ever hurt me that he'd take care of him. I love that my kids are so protective of me :) They're presh.
Today was a really crappy day so I want to just document a couple of fun memories I have already had these first two weeks...
- As I was talking about negative numbers one day, I don't know why, but I said "negative numbers have to be protected by parentheses... they are like pregnant women! You have to protect the pregnant bellies!" So one of my kids said, "so negative numbers are pregnant women?" Hahaha it was hilarious! But my kids will never forget that they are supposed to protect negative numbers with parentheses... always.
- I had a student offer to buy me a milkshake. Well actually I messed with him last year about owing me one and he randomly came up to me this year with money saying he was going to buy me one finally. I told him it was a joke and he continued to say that even though I have a boyfriend now that he'd really like to buy me a milkshake... oh my.
- I had a student dub me as the "duncanator". Not so sure how I feel about that nickname.
- This year I have a service learner in one of my classes and a kid that hangs out in my class 4th block just because. Both of them keep telling my students how great a teacher I am and how much they loved my classes last year. It just really makes my heart warm because I know that I made an impact (maybe). Or at least I hope so. Hunter is one of the kids and he literally tells them every day how much fun he had in physics and how they all need to take it when they become juniors and seniors. One day he even said, "Miss Duncan's class is the only class I ever learned anything in... like ever." Now even though that makes me question the quality of our school (yikes) it does make me happy that I am doing what I love and maybe even doing it somewhat well.
- One of my freshmen today told me that my class was his favorite class and that I was his favorite teacher. I joked with him saying "I bet you say that to all your teachers" and he got real serious and said "no Miss Duncan, like really. I do love this class." Again. These are sweet things God knew I needed to hear on a day like today.
- When I got home today, I had a facebook post from a girl I had in physics last year. She is at UT Knoxville this year as a freshman. Now Jessie has a pretty funny sense of humor so her seemingly sarcastic post made me smile, because I knew she meant every bit of it. Here's what she said... "Ms. Duncan, I would just like to tell you that stupid manipulating equations thing that I was sure was an epic waste of time just helped me figure out a Chemistry 120 problem. I was about to give up when I decided to make it into a formula and then manipulate it. If it wasn't for you I would've never gotten that question right!" I started tearing up when I read this.
Thankful for days like today,
Katelyn
No comments:
Post a Comment